The Amelia Educational Foundation met on May 22, 2023 for their regularly scheduled monthly Board Meeting.
Head of School Report
The Board heard an update from Rodney Taylor, Head of the School.
Class of 2023
Congratulations to our Senior Class of 2023! The Amelia Academy Commencement Ceremony was held on Thursday,
May 25. Delegate John McGuire was the guest speaker. Pastor Dorsey Drawhorn delivered the Invocation and
Benediction.The valedictorian of the Class of 2023, Barit McMillian, was presented a medallion and a certificate before delivering her
address. Salutatorians of the Class of 2023, Layne Ratliff and Emma Lynn Humphrey, were presented a medallion and a
Multiple students received honors, recognition and scholarships:
• President’s Award for Academic Excellence — Barit McMillian
• President’s Award for Academic Achievement — James Ramsey
• American Legion Patriotism Award — Rebecca Arbitelle/Avery Gough
• Sportsmanship Award — Avery Gough/Barit McMillian
• Foundation Award — Avery Gough/Emma Humphrey
• Herff Jones Award — Barit McMillian
• Linda Duncan Memorial Scholarship — Rebecca Arbitelle
• Virginia Lee Courter Memorial Scholarship — Rebecca Arbitelle
• VFW Post 8759 Scholarships — Rebecca Arbitelle, Avery Gough, Emma Humphrey, Barit McMillian
• Johnny F. Black Scholarship – Rebecca Arbitelle
• Delbert D. Lynn Scholarship — Rebecca Arbitelle
• Puckett-Ellington Workforce Readiness Scholarship — Avery Gough
• American Legion Post 87 Auxiliary Scholarship — Rebecca Arbitelle
• Amelia County Fire Department Auxiliary Scholarship — Avery Gough
• American Legion Post 87 Scholarships — Rebecca Arbitelle/Barit McMillian
• High Bridge Camp #1581 of the Sons of Confederate Veterans Scholarship — Rebecca Arbitelle
Amelia Academy students received over $15,000 in scholarships to continue their education. We thank our alumni,
patrons and community for their support of our students.
Amelia Academy Athletic Sports Awards Night
AA athletes, coaches, families, and fans celebrated together at the Athletic Sports Awards Night. Student athletes were
recognized for their achievements this year by their coaches and fellow students. Coach Harris announced his
retirement from coaching at AA after many years. He was recognized by former and current students and will be missed
by all. We wish him well and hope to see him and his family in the stands cheering on the Patriots in the next basketball
New Gym Bleachers
We are excited to share that we are moving forward to replace the bleachers in the gym. The old, wooden bleachers
that are becoming a hazard to students, patrons, and guests will be replaced by secure, plastic seats that will allow the
school to house up to 500 people. The bleacher fundraising efforts were kicked off at the Athletic Sports Awards Night.
Everyone in the Patriot Community is encouraged to participate in this capital improvement. Seats will be sold to cover
the cost of the new bleachers. Our community can honor loved ones, those who have departed us, students, alumni by
having a plate placed on a seat to honor that person. Some may want to recognize an entire family. We will offer this at
$250.00 a seat. We hope you will join us in this endeavor and begin sharing this opportunity with your friends and
family. Together, we can make this happen with little cost to the school. Our students and the Amelia community will
benefit, especially as our facility is used by so many for events, both joyous and somber. We all look forward to
providing a safe and welcoming environment all who enter our school. Attached is a flyer with more details.
Amelia Academy is offering transportation for Amelia Academy Students participating in the Longwood Talented and
Gifted (TAG) Summer Program. TAG Students experience the energy and excitement of exploring new topics and
interacting with other kids who love learning. A two-week program, running in two non-consecutive weeks, June 26-30
and July 10-14, 2023, for area students entering grades 4th -8th in Fall 2023. If you are interested in enrolling your
student, more information can be found here: https://www.longwood.edu/cehhs/about/talented-and-gifted-programtag/. Please contact the front office to secure your spot on the AA bus.
Please email Sherry as soon as possible at firstname.lastname@example.org with your needs.
The Board discussed business matters in Executive Session that due to privacy concerns must remain confidential.
August 10 – Lower School teachers – Reading Boot Camp program
Middle/Upper School teachers – optional Workday
August 11 – Meet your Teacher/Orientation Day
August 14 – Teacher Workday
August 15 – Optional Workday
August 16 – First Day of School
Summer office hours are Monday through Thursday from 9 am to 1 pm. We are always happy to meet at other times by
appointment. You can always reach us by email as well.